Contact this establishment
Use this form to email Captain Cook Memorial Museum directly.
More about Captain Cook Memorial Museum
This beautiful 17th century house on Grape Lane, alongside the harbour, was owned by Captain John Walker, a prominent Quaker shipowner. The young James Cook came here in 1746 to begin his apprenticeship as a seaman. When not at sea, he lodged and studied in the attic of the house which retains the atmosphere and typical room settings of the period.
The Museum celebrates Cook's achievements and the work of those who sailed with him: sailors, scientists and artists.
See letters in Cook's own hand, original paintings and drawings, ship models and maps, and strange objects from newly discovered lands.
Visit England National Gold Award Winner 2013
For prices, please visit the website. Also for detailsHTTPS of special exhibitions and events.
Open daily: February 18 to March 31 - 11.00 to 15.00; April 1 to November 5 - 0945 to 17.00.
Open during Winter 2017/18 by special request (please ring 01947 601900).
Map showing the location of Captain Cook Memorial Museum